Thursday, June 16, 2005

the master negotiator

we received our new dishwasher a few days ago... a stainless steel model from LG. after i opened the packaging we noticed a large dent on back side of it, like it got squeezed during shipment. because dishwashers are mounted under the countertop, you'd never see it, and i highly doubt it would affect performance in any way...but it was an unpleasant discovery nonetheless.

to make a long story short, we called the online company we ordered it from, and when they called me back i was offered a $150 refund and a replacement for one of the items broken/dented on the back. i was pretty happy with that, but deferred to my wife. good move on my part, because she called them today and now they're giving us a $300 refund!

my wife is the master negotiator. here's the basic difference between us: my goal in negotiation with retailers or contractors is to obtain what i consider a 'fair' solution--where both parties are equally happy (or unhappy) with the result. julie's goal is to obtain the best solution that they're willing to give us--whether or not they're happy about it. so her negotiations are usually more beneficial for us! i think there's a strong family influence on this trait, because the people i know who are good (aggressive) negotiators also tend to have more aggressive negotiators as parents.

5 comments:

amy said...

julie is TOTALLY the master negotiator - i need to bring her with me all the time everywhere i go - i am the master pushover! she is so awesome at that stuff...if i ever get a real job that i have to negotiate a contract i am bringing her along as my personal consultant. or i could have her with me at all times as my life consultant - but thats really not fair to you! she is your life consultant!!! (: go pistons!!!

strunny said...

julie rocks! i like the difference in negotiating skills - i'm more like you too though don. : )

Jesse said...

so does Julie get to do what she wishes with the extra $150? :)

Don said...

absolutely! but my fee for installing the dishwasher itself is $150, so we break even.

;) no seriously, she can spend whatever she wants (within reason). she's much less of a compuslive shopper than i am, so i don't really worry too much. it's also very difficult to say 'no' to a pregnant woman.

Anonymous said...

I hear you DOn,
Saying no to a pregnant wife is a very bad idea. I tried it once. Just about lost an arm ;) Ok I'm kidding, I can't say no to Carla either :)