Tuesday, October 12, 2004

stuff this week

Darn... I wrote a bunch of stuff but accidentally erased it. Oh well... here goes again:

I returned the Sennheiser headphones and ordered the Bose Triport. Can't wait! I love relaxing in bed at night getting deep into some good music. Really been enjoying Yo-Yo Ma lately. A friggin musical genius. Can't wait for U2's "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb". It's got a track named "Yahweh" on it--cool.

Mowed the lawn yesterday. Getting brown--that time of year. Ground is pretty lumpy... i'm going to have to rent a lawn roller to smooth it out in the spring... don't want to sprain an ankle while playing lawn croquet! Also had some moles digging tunnels earlier this year. I sprayed some mole repellent and they went into the neighbor's yard. Then they spray the repellent and it comes back to my yard! Hate to have to kill the thing, but it really makes a mess. What to do?!

Can't wait for the trip to England in November. Really looking forward to the time with my dad. We've already got all the tickets, travel, lodging... everything is booked. I've never had such an organized trip before. My dad is really into seeing everything, so I think I'll be exhausted by the time I come back. It will be fun to see Dublin again... haven't been there since 1995. I like the Irish people... pretty warm and fun, although they can get a bit crazy at the pubs.

Went and saw Friday Night Lights with Jesse last night. I really enjoyed it--a lot more than I thought I would. Kinda reminded me of basketball camp when I was in high school. I remember the coaches talking about their high school basketball glory days, like it was the pinnacle of their lives. Sorta depressing... It's funny how sports seems to bring out the best and worst in people-- the aggressiveness, pride, ego, anger, selfishness, cruelty... but also (hopefully) sacrifice, honor, excellence. Sometimes I wonder if the good outweighs the bad.

Home life is really good. I love being married; love Julie. Marriage has definitely improved over the last couple of years. God is really good, merciful, patient....

2 comments:

Jesse said...

nice post...good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Don - sorry to post anonymously...didn't know you were going to England next month - how cool! And we have a mole, too...what a pain and mess!
Have a good one,
Ronni