Thursday, September 02, 2004

Speech Impediment

On monday my father-in-law (Julie's dad) put a new "device" in the roof of my mouth... it's connected to the braces on my upper teeth and is designed to spread my upper jaw apart. Apparently the arch of the roof of my mouth is too narrow, and is preventing proper placement of my lower jaw.

Well, this device is a convoluted piece of steel wire that hangs about 3/4 inch below the roof of my mouth, from side to side. Problem is, I can no longer touch the roof of my mouth with my tongue, so it's pretty much near impossible to make a "y" sound, "eeee", "r" is hard (or any of the "velars" for you linguists).

Plus, I just started a new German class at WCC, so i'm trying to say German words and can't even speak English right now... ugh! So I'm trying to tough it out until Monday... apparently it takes about a week for your tongue to adapt, so patience....


No comments: